Menu Bar

文法: Grammar a Day - Level 4 [ 〜たい (verb stem + tai) ]

〜たい (verb stem + tai) - I want to (verb)

--- Notes ---
It is considered impolite to ask someone else if the 'want' to do
something.  Instead, use the negative form of the verb in a question.  

Very important: 'tai' can only be used for the I person, like 'i want'. 
If you want to say that someone else wants, you use 'tagaru'. 
Ex:かれは牛乳を飲みたがっています。
This is because Japanese never imply they know what someone else wishes,
and 'garu' means: 'i think that', 'i heard that', etc. 

--- Examples ---
日本に行きたいです。
(I) want to go to Japan.    

君のところへ行きたいよ。
(I) want to go to where you are.  

日本で英語をおしえたいです。
I want to teach English in Japan.    

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=verb stem + tai

No comments:

Post a Comment